BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Don't You Love It When...

People say "Merry Christmas?!" (I just did a "don't you hate it when," so I thought I'd follow that with a more positive, "don't you love it when?")


Anyway, I love it when people say Merry Christmas. Working at the movie theater this Christmas season I got to talk to a lot of people, and one thing I noticed was how almost everyone who mentioned any kind of "holiday" greeting, flat out said, "Merry Christmas." This made me extremely happy because it seemed like people were trying to boycott the whole PC-ness of the phrase "happy holidays." I've always felt that the whole ordeal revolving around the Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays issue was slightly ridiculous. If you're taking the time to wish someone "happy holidays", then most you most likely celebrate Christmas, so why not just say "Merry Christmas"? Whatever idiot introduced "happy holidays," and caused a stir over the political correctness of saying "Merry Christmas," should die. Harsh but true.

I also love how people become so much kinder towards others. Example: At work one day, these kids (probably about 11 yrs old) were ordering food at concessions, and of course they were short on money because all the stuff we sell is BLOODY EXPENSIVE. I would have offered to pick up the difference but I hadn't brought my wallet to work so I didn't have any cash. They were really embarrassed and kept putting stuff back in hopes to make it into their price range, when some random stranger who wasn't in line for concessions or anything, but was just watching, offered them a coupon she had gotten for a free popcorn. With that free popcorn coupon, the price dropped by about 6 bucks and the kids were able to afford the food they wanted. As I worked the past month or so, I noticed several acts of kindness such as this. Unfortunately I've also noticed how these events occur less and less as that Christmas spirit fades away come the new year. It's too bad we can't all be so kind, all the time. I know many people maintain that kindness all year long, and I envy them, for I'm sorry to say that I tend to be one of the ones who becomes more self-absorbed with the end of the Christmas season....I think I just found one of my New Year resolutions.

1 comments:

Megan said...

I'd just like to say I am a huge fan of the "happy holidays" trend. I like a saying that expresses happiness and well wishes to everyone regardless of what holidays they do or don't celebrate this time of year and that at the same time encompasses the festive season between Thanksgiving and New Years. "Merry Christmas" is also nice, it's just more limited and I usually only say it the day before or the day of.

Also I loved the story about your brother's dummy scaring you in the night! Too funny :)